Thursday, September 9, 2010

The First Meeting

I was anxious (and excited) about tonight's orientation meeting. Did I have any idea what to expect? Nope.

No one did apparently. I definitely got the feeling we weren't and aren't alone in the process. There was a mixture of "I won't tell anyone I saw you here if you don't tell them you saw me" and "can you tell us what the average age of a child is?" and "you will be shocked by some of the things going on in the homes of these children."

I was very surprised (secretly excited) to see two other couples, around our age, in attendance and beyond them a room full of anxious others. I hope they stick around. I can see where this group will become a huge support system. I know your family is supposed to be where you draw your strength, but these people...going through this with us...they're going to understand.

And the most shocking part, my husband asked a question. the only man in the room to speak. Yeah, we're doing this.


I won't have Tuesday nights free for the next 10 weeks...and I couldn't be happier.


No comments:

Post a Comment