Wednesday, February 15, 2012

One Year



A year ago today, we became parents.

A year ago today, we had no clue what our future was going to look like.

{I could not have imagined a better year}

It won't actually be a year until just after 7pm tonight and I will spend most of today just remembering that moment, that moment when they first laid a baby in my lap. I will spend today trying to remember how tiny she felt and how snuggle-y she was.

I still can't believe anyone trusted a newborn baby to me. I tried to remember what they said about when to feed her, how much, what to watch for, what the doctors said, etc. but, all I could focus on was that things were becoming real.

I was so anxious and excited. Anxious to start the journey we had prepared for. Excited to love a baby. There were many serious things that never crossed our mind. Serious complications that a baby, born exposed to drugs, could have to deal with- it was never a matter of what we would have to deal with. Not mentally, emotionally, or physically. It was, from the beginning, a matter of PARENTING. We promised to parent a child who wasn't legally or biologically ours. And, {thanks to the glory of God} I think we've done one hell of a job parenting our first time around.

Truthfully though, we had no idea we would be so blessed in return. It has been an amazing year. One full of learning, growing, and loving. We don't just love her, she loves us. That is the most beautiful part of our first year as parents - it's not the sleepless nights, dirty diapers, decorating a nursery, or buying cute clothes - it is having a child love us back.




Tomorrow has the potential to be another huge day, if the case hearing isn't postponed another month. It seems inevitable now as to what is best for Snarkles future, but it's still undetermined by the court. While we appreciate any and all prayers, I'm asking that you keep her biological parents, especially the father, in your prayers as well.

1 comment:

  1. Words cannot express the love and joy we feel in our hearts watching you two raise Snarkles. We have all been blessed.

    Love Grandma & Papa T.

    ReplyDelete