Monday, June 13, 2011

I don't always know...

...what to say when people ask, in reference to Snarkles, "how are things going?"

Do they mean:
A) How are things going, as new parents? Are you sleeping good?
B) How is the baby doing? What did she weigh at her last check-up? Does she eat and poop regularly?
C) How is the case going? What are her birth parents like? What is the foster system like?

I sometimes feel like I answer that question the wrong way. I've answered that simple question in each of the three ways at different times.

I don't mind talking about being a foster parent, I don't mind talking about the Baby's milestones, and I certainly don't mind telling you that, as new parents, we are fairing really well.

Recently, I answered question B in response to the simple question and wish I had just kept going and answered C while I was at it. It was someone who already knew she was our foster child but, I couldn't tell which honest question they wanted answered. After a rambling answer to B, I immediately wish I has added that "she is just like a biological child, we know her quirks, we take her to doctor appointments and we tell her we love her all the time. It's like the foster system is totally removed from our daily lives and we're this little happy family."

I wish I had answered with that because I honestly think that's what people want to know.

They want to know if our home feels invaded by Social Services, or if our schedules are screwed up because of birth parent visits, and whether or not we have bonded emotionally with this little child.

I want people to feel comfortable asking and I want them to know the truths behind foster care. We're not this weak, sensitive duo...if we were, we certainly would not be fostering...

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of knowing the truth behind foster parenting, I was wondering if you would be willing to answer some questions. If so, please email me at elissaann26 at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete