Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Happy Birthday, 2 year old!

About me:
I used to think that Mom's should get to celebrate on "birthdays" in honor of all the endurance they had been through to get to that day. Except, now...that theory is kind of irrelevant to my situation...and I don't know what to think.

I still feel that way for my own mom - I mean, what did I do to deserve presents and thoughtful wishes on July 2nd?

In some way, I think I feel that way for Snarkle's biological mom. Does she realize what day today is? I'll probably think about her over the course of Snarkles life. Maybe on this day, maybe not, but probably.

I used to think that birthday's were technically a count-down, even though the numbers are going up.
We age and get old
Miss opportunities that we look back on and wish we had taken
Experience things too fast
Constantly move towards a still target

That was, until a friend gave me a card that read "365 days better than last year" and my perspective has changed.

I used to focus on what was gone, instead of thinking about what has been gained. This monumental shift in my mindset is integral to my life with a child.

Today is not about marking the time, it's about being happy for everything that's happened since "Anna" turned one, everything that makes her who she is...
Her Baptism
Godparents
Adoption
Grandparents/Aunts-n-Uncles
School teachers
She sings
Does "yoga"
Colors
Loves her family, school friends, and neighbors
Uses the potty occassionaly
Runs
Puts multiple words together
Talks all the time
Counts to 10 with some success
Says her alphabet, but only A-G
Wants to be outside all the time
Is still petite, but in size 24 month clothes
Only interested in Elmo videos from you tube
A great sleeper
Happy to go to school every morning
A healthy eater
Independant
Confident and outgoing but shy with strangers and in new crowds
Silly, so silly
A Mommy's girl

...she is all of that because of the past 365 days.

I loved her at 1.

I love her even more at 2.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon,

    It's been forever since I read your blog. I actually forgot about Google Reader for, oh, I guess a year or so until today. Loved reading this post and especially reading that the card I gave you years ago has had an impact on how you view birthdays as a positive celebration of acheivements. :)

    Love and miss you!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete